1 Day car Insurance

Insure a car for just one single day upwards

single day car insurance image

We are sorry but owing to a double whammy of Brexit and Covid travel restrictions we can only offer policies to UK residents with UK driving licences at present.

Need short term insurance with a foreign driving licence?

If you are a visitor to the UK, or an ex-pat returning home for a short while, you may wish to borrow a car from a friend or family member whilst you are here. You will have to have insurance to comply with the law but you can apply for short term car insurance if you have a licence issued in one of the following countries:

How to apply

To get a quote (which should only take a few seconds) you will need to know either the registration number of the car you want to insure or it's make, model and year. You will be asked for your date of birth, the car's details, the type of licence you hold, and how long you want to insure the car for. You will also be asked for your postcode: you should provide the postcode of the address you are staying at in the UK, or one that you could be contacted at, not your home address overseas. All being well you would then get a quotation.

To complete your application you will need your passport and licence details.Assuming that your application is accepted -as most are - you could then decide when you wanted the insurance to start; either immediately or at a date and time in the near future. You would get a full 24 hours of cover for each day you insured the car for.

What type of cover would I get?

Cover for driving in the UK is comprehensive. It drops to the minimum required by law (the equivalent of our third party only insurance) for driving in the rest of the European Union; not likely with single day cover but it is possible.

You would be covered for social, domestic and pleasure purposes, commuting to/from work or in connection with your business, provided that you was not carrying any goods or passengers for hire or reward. Carrying scrap metal or any use involving the motor trade would be specifically excluded. Your use of the car must begin and end in the UK, so this type of cover cannot be used for importing or exporting a vehicle.

What type of car can I insure?

It must be first registered in the UK, and normally kept here so you cannot insure a car you have brought over from abroad. The insurers have a large approved list and prefer small and medium family cars or light vans. Larger vehicles may be accepted but they would be subject to a maximum payout of £45,000 if they were damaged beyond repair. Which cars will or will not be accepted depends, however, on a number of factors so the only way to be sure is to get a quote.

How would I get my documentation?

You would be sent a link to your various documents, including the insurance certificate, so you could download them and print them if you wish. It is not a legal requirement for you to do so but you may wish to at least store the details on your mobile phone just in case you need to prove that you are in fact insured.